Summer Associate Positions with Thomas More Society Law Firm
Summer Associates at the Thomas More Society have the unique experience to spend a summer in the beautiful and high energy city of Chicago, learning alongside some of the most renowned and well-respected attorneys in the pro-life movement. Each year, the Thomas More Society brings in 2-4 Summer Associates from across the country to aid in the Society’s legal work.
Projects will include conducting in-depth research, writing memos, drafting letters and motions, editing briefs, handling prospective client intakes, and assisting attorneys with court preparation. The Thomas More Society is an exceptionally busy, fast-paced law firm that works with counsel across the nation. Law at the Thomas More Society is focused on a variety of First Amendment issues as well as some criminal law.
This is a paid internship from June 2018 – August 2018.
- Exceptional writing, researching, and communications skills.
- Ability to work cohesively as part of a team in a small office setting.
- High energy, flexibility, and the ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to balance multiple projects with strict deadlines.
- Excellent professionalism and client relations skills.
- Appreciation and support of the Society’s mission.
- Respect for the Magisterium of the Roman Catholic Church. (Note: membership in the Catholic Church is not required, but respect for its teachings is.)
- Familiarity with the legal issues that Thomas More Society regularly encounters, especially issues surrounding human life, marriage, and religious liberty.
- Demonstrated interest in the pro-life movement.
- 2L students are highly preferred; however, 1L students are not discouraged from applying.
To apply, please email the following to Cristina Burke at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- cover letter,
- writing sample, and
- law school transcripts.
Cover letters must include a strong personal statement of support for the pro-life movement and of the Thomas More Society’s mission. Applicants who do not include this in their cover letter will be rejected without further review.
Please include your name in the document name of each attachment.
Writing samples must include an introduction that gives a short summary of what it was written for, whether there were any length or style restrictions on the assignment, whether it incorporates extensive edits from a professor or supervisor, and a statement of permission to use the piece as a sample if it was drafted for a client or a judge.
The Thomas More Society is a not-for-profit, national public interest law firm dedicated to restoring respect in law for life, family, and religious liberty. Based in Chicago, the Society defends and fosters support for these causes by providing high quality pro-bono legal services from local trial courts to the United States Supreme Court.